Made by Firebase
Shortens URLs written to a specified Cloud Firestore collection (uses Bitly).
How this extension works
Use this extension to create shortened URLs from URLs written to Cloud Firestore. These shortened URLs are useful as display URLs.
This extension listens to your specified Cloud Firestore collection. If you add a URL to a specified field in any document within that collection, this extension:
- Shortens the URL.
- Saves the shortened URL in a new specified field in the same document.
If the original URL in a document is updated, then the shortened URL will be automatically updated, too.
This extension uses Bitly to shorten URLs, so you'll need to supply your Bitly access token as part of this extension's installation. You can generate this access token using Bitly.
Before installing this extension, make sure that you've set up a Cloud Firestore database in your Firebase project.
You must also have a Bitly account and access token before installing this extension.
To install an extension, your project must be on the Blaze (pay as you go) plan
- You will be charged a small amount (typically around $0.01/month) for the Firebase resources required by this extension (even if it is not used).
- This extension uses other Firebase and Google Cloud Platform services, which have associated charges if you exceed the service’s free tier:
- Cloud Firestore
- Cloud Functions (Node.js 10+ runtime. See FAQs)
- This extension also uses these services:
- Bitly. You must have a Bitly account and you're responsible for any associated charges.
What you can configure
- Cloud Functions location
- Bitly access token
- Collection path
- URL field name
- Short URL field name
Type: Cloud Function
Description: Listens for writes of new URLs to your specified Cloud Firestore collection, shortens the URLs, then writes the shortened form back to the same document.
How to install this extension
Using the Firebase console
To install and manage extensions, you can use the Firebase console.Install using console
Using the Firebase CLI
To install and manage extensions, you can also use the Firebase CLI:
Step 1: Run the following npm command to install the CLI or update to the latest CLI version.
npm install -g firebase-toolsDoesn't work? Take a look at the Firebase CLI reference or change your npm permissions.
Step 2: Install this extension by running the following command
firebase ext:install firebase/firestore-shorten-urls-bitly --project=projectId_or_alias