Made by Firebase
Translates strings written to a Cloud Firestore collection into multiple languages (uses Cloud Translation API).
How this extension works
Use this extension to translate strings (for example, text messages) written to a Cloud Firestore collection.
This extension listens to your specified Cloud Firestore collection. If you add a string to a specified field in any document within that collection, this extension:
- Translates the string into your specified target language(s); the source language of the string is automatically detected.
- Adds the translation(s) of the string to a separate specified field in the same document.
You specify the desired target languages using ISO-639-1 codes. You can find a list of valid languages and their corresponding codes in the Cloud Translation API documentation.
If the original non-translated field of the document is updated, then the translations will be automatically updated, as well.
Before installing this extension, make sure that you've set up a Cloud Firestore database in your Firebase project.
To install an extension, your project must be on the Blaze (pay as you go) plan
- You will be charged a small amount (typically around $0.01/month) for the Firebase resources required by this extension (even if it is not used).
- This extension uses other Firebase and Google Cloud Platform services, which have associated charges if you exceed the service’s free tier:
- Cloud Translation API
- Cloud Firestore
- Cloud Functions (Node.js 10+ runtime. See FAQs)
What you can configure
- Cloud Functions location
- Target languages for translations, as a comma-separated list
- Collection path
- Input field name
- Translations output field name
Type: Cloud Function
Description: Listens for writes of new strings to your specified Cloud Firestore collection, translates the strings, then writes the translated strings back to the same document.
How to install this extension
Using the Firebase console
To install and manage extensions, you can use the Firebase console.Install using console
Using the Firebase CLI
To install and manage extensions, you can also use the Firebase CLI:
Step 1: Run the following npm command to install the CLI or update to the latest CLI version.
npm install -g firebase-toolsDoesn't work? Take a look at the Firebase CLI reference or change your npm permissions.
Step 2: Install this extension by running the following command
firebase ext:install firebase/firestore-translate-text --project=projectId_or_alias