This guide describes how to install and test a new app distributed through App Distribution from a tester's point of view. For answers to frequently asked questions or help with troubleshooting, read the Troubleshooting guide.
Step 1. Sign in with Google to accept the invitation
On an iOS device, open the email invitation in Safari (this is required in order to properly install the Firebase profile and register your device in step 2 below).
When prompted, sign in with Google and accept the invitation to test the app.
Once you accept an invitation, you're given access to install the test app. You also receive build notification emails from Firebase when the app's developer distributes a new build and includes you as a tester.
Step 2. Install the Firebase profile
Ad Hoc distributions
- In the test app's page, tap Register device.
- When prompted, download the Firebase profile, then install the profile in the Settings app.
Installing the profile gives Firebase permission to:
- Register the test device by collecting the device's unique device ID (UDID). If you're testing an Ad Hoc distribution, Firebase sends the app developer an email that includes the test device's UDID, along with instructions on how to include the device in the app's provisioning profile so that the build can be tested on your device.
- Install a Firebase App Distribution web clip to the test device's home screen. The web clip allows you to install and access all of your test apps.
This step is optional but recommended for testing Enterprise-signed distributions. The profile installation adds the Firebase App Distribution web clip to your device's home screen, so you can install and access all your test apps. To manually install the profile:
Under Test apps, select the app you want to test.
In the top right of the app's page, tap mobile_screen_share.
Follow the instructions displayed to install the Firebase profile.
Step 3. Install and test the build
Ad Hoc distributions
After you register your device, the developer must update their provisioning profile with your device's UDID and redistribute a build that's configured to run on your device. Firebase emails you a notification when the build is available for you to install.In the Test apps section of the Firebase App Distribution web clip, select the app for which you want to install a new build, then tap Download. The build is downloaded to your device's home screen so you can start testing right away.
- In the Test apps section of the Firebase App Distribution web clip, select the app for which you want to install a new build, then tap Download. The build is downloaded to your device's home screen so you can start testing right away.
In the Settings app > Profiles & Device Management screen, select the app's developer name and trust it.
If you do not have the Firebase App Distribution web clip, you can install a new build for your test app by tapping Download the latest build in the new build notification email from Firebase.